In my quest to increase the amount of protein in my diet while reducing gluten I’ve found several recipes I’ll be sharing over the course of my NaturalStart Detox, Flush & Reboot program. The first is for these delicious chickpea crepes. Having little faith in my ability to create a crepe I instead created ‘penny pancakes’. But if you have a crepe pan, or the cast iron skillet the recipe calls for, here’s the original recipe from Pure Ella.
- 1 1/2 c. chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I couldn’t find mine and substituted chili powder – delish)
- oil for cooking – I used sunflower
- Whisk the water and dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Refrigerate for at least one hour. You can make the batter in the evening and refrigerate over night.
- When ready, heat a griddle or cast iron pan. Drizzle a bit of oil and then use a small ladle to pour the batter onto the griddle.
- Cook until golden on each side – about two minutes
I served mine with spicy black beans, roasted cauliflower and sliced avocado, but these little gems are perfect with anything. Leaning toward being slightly savory on their own, I think they’d be great with grilled mango and cashew cream…mmmm…..